November 9, 2011
Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons
Enjoy a favorite salad I adapted from Sunset and Bon Appetit recipes.
Salad of Fall Greens with Persimmons and Pecans
4 cups fall mesclun greens or butter lettuce torn in bite-size pieces
1 Fuyu persimmon, halved and thinly sliced
¼ cup pecan pieces
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Crumbled cotija or feta cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine lime juice and extra virgin olive oil. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Place greens in salad bowl; toss with dressing. Gently toss in persimmons, cheese and pecans. Optional ingredients: sliced pears, sliced avocados
More persimmon miscellany:
- Falling for Persimmons, story by Susan Russo on NPR.
- Learn more about Fuyu persimmons from Specialty Produce. Recipe ideas and list of San Diego area restaurants purchasing Fuyu persimmons today.
- Nutrition information for Fuyu persimmons from USDA database.
- Persimmon products from La Vigne Organics in Fallbrook, CA.
- Persimmon Fact Sheet from University of California Fruit & Nut Research and Information Center.
- Recipes for persimmon pudding can be found on the internet.
Hmmm…wonder where I could plant a Fuyu persimmon tree in my yard?